Author Topic: R-Forum Home Base Under Assault by Mother Nature  (Read 2622 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
R-Forum Home Base Under Assault by Mother Nature
« on: October 07, 2024, 12:10:07 PM »
Having not quite taken us out with the glancing blow (Helene), Mother Nature has lined up a new monster storm (Milton) with a direct path to the Tampa Bay area.  This could be the storm we have always feared, a major hurricane running up the mouth of Tampa Bay. 

My home is on very high ground, so I mostly fear the wind.  Please hope for the best for us.  The forum's servers are not physically located here of course, so the forum should be fine.

See you all on the other side.

-Duane

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: R-Forum Home Base Under Assault by Mother Nature
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2024, 02:55:35 PM »

Stay safe!

Don't be afraid to run away from it if need be.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2024, 03:01:38 PM »
I'm on the other side in Sarasota! Be safe...
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2024, 07:32:00 AM »
Stay strong, we're praying for you and your family.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2024, 08:25:41 AM »
Hoping maybe it lightens up. Stay safe.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2024, 09:23:15 AM »
Amelia Island took a glancing blow from Helene and it appears will be on the outer edge of Milton.  My son is in Orlando and plans to ride it out.  I do fear for the folks near Tampa.  Wishing you the best of luck Duane!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2024, 11:10:52 AM »
The current path takes the storm to just about the mouth of Tampa Bay, but more easterly than going up the bay which we have always considered to be a worst case scenario.  It's possible that I will avoid winds more than Cat 1 or so...  But there will be some destruction where this monster storm hits land.  It's going to be a long 24 hours.  Good luck to all!
Duane (DDGator)

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2024, 10:36:52 PM »
Prayers for all in the path!

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2024, 09:19:35 AM »
We're in Lakewood Ranch (outside Sarasota ) and we're directly in the eye of the storm. Heavy winds and rain, then a beautiful calm, then more wind and rain. We watched just about all of the storm from in our lanai cage. It was beautiful. Not all fared that well. It will be interesting to hear from Duane as he was in the outer north side.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2024, 09:54:39 AM »
We here on Amelia Island had a little wind and moderately heavy rain.  We are pretty much all in flood zone A but had not real problems.  Lucky!  Praying for Duane and all those on the west coast of FL.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Wanderer

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2024, 11:29:33 AM »
From a facebook post from a few hours ago it looks like he and his family are safe.  So good news on that front.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2024, 01:28:55 PM »
Hello all,

Well we had an interesting night -- 12 hours in the nasty NW eye wall of Milton. It was as scary as any weather I have seen in my lifetime in Florida.  We sustained minimal damage, but have a mess to clean up for sure.

We have a few problems.  One is no power.  I have a generator but not the "whole house" variety, so my house is full of extension cords.  Even the 5G service here is sketchy.  Text messages work much better than anything else still.  I have not been on-line very much.

The community is reeling.  There is very little gas -- with half mile or more lines at the pumps.  There is very little propane or ice.  I'm actually well-stocked for everything except ice.   Traffic lights are still out many places, and all non-essential businesses are closed.  The couple stores and restaurants opened are mobbed all the time.

All in all, we are safe and won't starve. We are thankful, but also uncomfortable (no air conditioning) and a bit grumpy.

I know many of my friends and neighbors lost a lot -- especially those to the south and on the barrier islands.  I am praying for them.  I am also updating my hurricane plans and prep.  I hope that will be for NEXT season, and not this one.

Thanks for checking in with me.  We are a long way from "normal," but we will get there.

-Duane
« Last Edit: October 12, 2024, 01:32:15 PM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2024, 02:27:54 PM »
Thank you for taking a moment to update us all.  Glad you are ok and that everything is relatively ok as well, all things considered.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2024, 07:41:58 AM »

Two days later we are lucky enough to have had power restored.  That is a game changer.

City government and schools and many businesses remain closed.  However, most traffic lights are functioning and gas is much more available.  As the critical infrastructure gets fixed we can start to focus on the rest of the problems.

I think it will be months before even all the hurricane debris can be removed and cleaned.  This storm we be around for quite a while.   

Thanks for all the support.  If this pattern continues I will consider moving to New Mexico when I retire!

-Duane
Duane (DDGator)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2024, 02:08:25 PM »

I think it will be months before even all the hurricane debris can be removed and cleaned.  This storm we be around for quite a while.   

-Duane

If you are lucky.  We still have debris piles in my corner of the Houston area.  Home repairs on the most seriously damaged residences are still in progress.  However it's not that bad, you get used to it I guess. 

Glad to hear you and yours are safe and sound with the AC running.