Author Topic: Corbon ammo?  (Read 9481 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Corbon ammo?
« on: March 29, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »
Ammo question:
In view of Ayoob's strong opinion on the effectiveness of Corbon 115 gr. 9mm ammo, is this round suitable for use in the R9...OAL?  Too hot a load?
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Corbon ammo?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »
Ammo question:
In view of Ayoob's strong opinion on the effectiveness of Corbon 115 gr. 9mm ammo, is this round suitable for use in the R9...OAL?  Too hot a load?
John

Corbon has probably the best QC in the ammunition manufacturing business and make a good product. 

That video is 20+ years old so a lot has changed.

Look up shootingthebull410 on you tube and look at his tests to see what to try.

Not being +P rated and having a 2 3/4" barrel puts the  R9 at a disadvantage to other firearms.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:29:29 PM »
Thanks, will do.  Can certainly use in my Bobergs if necessary.  I anticipated M.A.'s advice and have been carrying a compact .45 in cold weather, but look forward to going back to my R9.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:50:39 PM »
Ammo question:
John

Corbon has probably the best QC in the ammunition manufacturing business and make a good product. 

That video is 20+ years old so a lot has changed.

Look up shootingthebull410 on you tube and look at his tests to see what to try.

Not being +P rated and having a 2 3/4" barrel puts the  R9 at a disadvantage to other firearms.

I really like the shooting the bull dude you turned us on to. He's the guy that brought the precision one .380 round to the game. Good stuff.

In what I saw on this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i

The HST 124 grain standard pressure passed the test perfectly through a 3" barrel.

It did as well as the perfectly performing CORBON DPX +P 115 gr. out of a 3" barrel.

Both pics are of the HST standard pressure out of a 3" barrel.

Of the 10 HST bullets shown, 5 are denim. 5 are bare. 10 are perfect.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:56:18 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 07:38:52 PM »
The extensive testing that he did on short barreled 9's and 380's was the best information  on the subject out there.  Very thorough and easy to watch.

He and Bruce have gotten to be friends.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
Thanks Josh...I went to the website and found the same thing.  Still have a lot of Gold Dot around...I guess it will now be practice ammo.  Fortunately, I've been collecting the HST 124 recently.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks Josh...I went to the website and found the same thing.  Still have a lot of Gold Dot around...I guess it will now be practice ammo.  Fortunately, I've been collecting the HST 124 recently.

Where have you been finding the HST at the best rates BU9?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »
Not buying much Josh, so paying premium rates at my local gunstore.  I practice with Lawman 124 and 115 as I have a bunch of both, but also have a bunch of Gold Dot 124 which I now use for practice also.  The HST is the one that I fire 7 and load the other 13 in the pistol and in the spare mag for carry.  I am moving from Tennessee to northeast Florida in May, and trying to minimize the moving weight by not acquiring too much ammo right now, at least not in bulk....of course, I don't use up 500 rounds on each range trip like some afficionados I know   ;).
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »
Not buying much Josh, so paying premium rates at my local gunstore.  I practice with Lawman 124 and 115 as I have a bunch of both, but also have a bunch of Gold Dot 124 which I now use for practice also.  The HST is the one that I fire 7 and load the other 13 in the pistol and in the spare mag for carry.  I am moving from Tennessee to northeast Florida in May, and trying to minimize the moving weight by not acquiring too much ammo right now, at least not in bulk....of course, I don't use up 500 rounds on each range trip like some afficionados I know   ;).
John

lol. The said "aficionados" will certainly slow down as arthritis and other hand issues threaten or ensue. Shooting smaller handguns can be taxing.

Sounds like a smart plan anyway for the R9. I've FINALLY started to take the Doc's advice.

I will try to scare up some HST 124 gr.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:18 AM »
Wow. Dirt must be very expensive.

About $5 more for a box of 20 than ammunition depot or SGAmmmo (both currently out of stock)wants for a box of 50.

From "Americas ultimate shooting sport discounter". Lol.

If anyone finds any HST 124 gr standard pressure please let me know where. Thanks.

These 9mm 124 gr. HST's are the only ones I can find in stock...

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:18:11 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 07:05:11 PM »
Well thanks to Tracker I was able to find some of the excellent performing standard pressure HST from:

http://www.ammunitionsupplycompany.com/Federal-Tactical-HST-9mm-124-Grain-P9HST1-Ammo-p/p9hst1.htm?Click=30236

$25 per 50, 124 gr

Shipping was $17 for 4 boxes

Thanks Tracker!!

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »

You are welcome!

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 10:33:25 PM »
I noticed that there is a Personal Defense (P9HST1S) and a Tactical( P9HST1), both HST 124 gr.. What is the difference?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »
Make sure the picture on the box says HST in the top right corner. The box looks very similar to hydra shocks. I have read that HST stands for hydra shock two, so beware. I think the HST's are hard to find (back ordered on numerous sites) and some people are exploiting that. Good ol capitalism (As long as you aren't the one being capitalized on)

On another sight they were selling hydra shoks using HST1 as the moniker FYI.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:57:47 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
I noticed that there is a Personal Defense (P9HST1S) and a Tactical( P9HST1), both HST 124 gr.. What is the difference?

Looks like it is what is marketed for the civilian population. Seems to only be available for $25 or so for a box of 20 whereas the non "S" is $25 for a box of 50.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:15:15 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill