Author Topic: Reliability Testing prior to Carry  (Read 4794 times)

Offline billmc

Reliability Testing prior to Carry
« on: September 14, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
Hey Folks,

In a previous post, "How many rounds between cleanings?" http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=6439.msg76082#msg76082; I had asked a question about how many rounds to run through the pistol, until you would deem it reliable enough to carry.  Reinz had replied:

As far as the break in goes, can somebody tell me if there is a "standard" number of rounds fired before it is considered to be broken in?  I understand that this isn't meant to be a "regular" range gun, but for pistols in general, I've seen various recommendations, anywhere from 250 to 1000 rounds to be fired, before depending on it to carry.  I guess that would be between 2 to 5 springs worth.  Would anyone like to comment or recommend a number for this particular gun?

Assuming that you have the bugs ironed out, I think 200-250 is a fair number- or one springs worth.

For EDC, I will not carry any gun until it performs for at least 200 consecutive rounds without a single malfunction.  That is just me.  I don't know how others feel, it is a personal, subjective thing.  It doesn't matter if it's el cheapo Kel-Tec in my gym shorts ,a high dollar 1911 on my belt , and everything in between.   They all MUST pass the test.

Well, today I came across an article at Firearms Tactical Institute, posted in May of 1999, that provides an entire procedure to accomplish this task.  They recommend 16 magazines + 1 round of carry ammo with an additional 100 rounds of FMJ target.  In the case of the PUP, that works out to 197 rounds, or 1 springs' worth.  Seems to me that Reinz is right on the money.

This procedure is new to me and sounds like a reasonable precaution to take.  I share it with you folks because there may be others like me out there, that could use something like this:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs25.htm

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: Reliability Testing prior to Carry
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
I respect those guys at Firearms Tactical Institute but their recomendation seems kind of arbitrary.

16 mags from a full sized Glock is a huge difference in rounds from 16 mags in a Rohrbaugh.

But I agree with a few things:

1) 200 to 250 rounds
2) Test all magazines
3) Test magazines fully loaded, partially loaded and loaded with only 1 round

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
Since all firearms are mechanical devices, they are inherently at the mercy of Mr. Murphy and his laws.  My opinion of reliability testing is to test to the point that you feel your gun has proven itself to be sufficiently reliable to you and then practice clearing jams with it until it becomes instinct.  Even the best guns will jam and being able to clear and return it to fighting condition ASAP is what I feel to be the most important factor right after inherent reliability. 

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »
Since all firearms are mechanical devices, they are inherently at the mercy of Mr. Murphy and his laws.  My opinion of reliability testing is to test to the point that you feel your gun has proven itself to be sufficiently reliable to you and then practice clearing jams with it until it becomes instinct.  Even the best guns will jam and being able to clear and return it to fighting condition ASAP is what I feel to be the most important factor right after inherent reliability.

I couldn't express it any better if I tried. 
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »
I agree that everyone should learn how to clear a stoppage but in most of the videos I seen in the last 3 years of DGUs by citizens - I don't remember any of them having time to clear a stoppage.  And in some cases if they had experienced a failure on the first round - they would have been much better off running than standing there clearing a stoppage.

The fact that the R9 doesn't lock back makes things a little more difficult too...

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
The first thing is a 200 round break-in period. Check your mags, and use the most dependable ammo. You need to buy a box and shoot half, and save half. Now figure you have a single shot in your hands, and make the first shot count.  If your Rohrbaugh jams, then throw it at the perp and pull your back-up. In the end it is always better to avoid the situation to begin with. The dark parking lot, the ATM, the midnight gas station, the Road Rage.

I decided to buy a S&W 642  ..... wow, what dependability  ...... never had to shoot it ... finally I did, and it went 'bang, bang, click'. It had a bad firing pin - light primer strikes.

The lesson here is all guns need to have 200 rounds through them - and even revolvers like certain ammo

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:02:12 PM by the_skunk »