Author Topic: Training drills with the R9S - magazine catch question  (Read 11191 times)

Offline Ghost Chili

Training drills with the R9S - magazine catch question
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »
Hi guys,

Being that my R9 is my new pocket gun, I have taken to doing training drills with it.  Since the R9 is a Euro heel catch, it tosses a bit of foreign territory in my drill.  I am wondering if any of you guys have tips and/or tricks on swiftly dropping the mag and popping in a fresh one.  I find the smooth mag catch does not exactly aid in releasing the mag.  Are all the mag catches smooth?  I had shot my father's Makarov before and that also has a heel release but it is well serrated and is nice and grippy.  I am thinking of cutting my own serrations into the catch so my thumb has a better purchase.  I would try grip tape, but would rather have something more permanent.   

Offline Robar233

• Master
Re: Training drills with the R9S - magazine catch question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »
Ghost C,

I hear what you are saying. My Robar edition has a polished magazine catch so I think it has even less grip. That being said, I have never had a problem with reloads. My support hand (left) pushes the release back. I have then stripped the magazine and dropped it on grass or back pocket if on hard deck. During the reload I push it back with the backside of the fresh magazine. For my big mitts the Yankee2500 straight magazine extensions are a God send. I seat the magazine with the palm of my support hand.
 I have not yet, but will have to, practice reloads with my strong hand.

Good luck and enjoy your Pup!

Robar233

Offline Sgt127

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »
Use the pad of your thumb to push up on the magazine and keep upward pressure on the magazine base as you slide your thumb towards the catch.

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:48:34 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I have tried a number of ways to quickly clear a mag from the R9 ranging from using a fully loaded spare mag to push back on the catch to clearing the empty mag with my weak hand first, then reaching for the full mag afterwards.  Seems the most effective way I can do a quick reload is to use the method Sgt127 recommended to ensure a positive stripping of the empty mag and follow up with a fresh mag off my belt pouch.  Definitely slower than the conventional button mag release, but then again, the R9 isn't made for protracted gunfights. 

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »
Most social engagements occur at less than 7 yards and are over with3 to 5 rounds fired, so a practicing a fast reload is less likely to be needed than practice in quick presentation and engagement with the weapon.  I'd recommend that if you feel a "gunfight" is more likely to be needed with your lifestyle, buy a bigger pistol with better sights to allow defense at a greater range and with a standard mag release to allow quicker reload.  Then use the R9 for a backup.
Many owners never carry a 2nd mag for the R9 and the Seecamp.
Just my opinion, and to be fair there are those here who practice mag changes and become quite fast with them.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
  I am thinking of cutting my own serrations into the catch so my thumb has a better purchase.  I would try grip tape, but would rather have something more permanent.

The reason that there are no grooves in the mag release in the first place is that it may impede your draw from the pocket.  And may snag on re-entry as well.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
Most social engagements occur at less than 7 yards and are over with3 to 5 rounds fired, so a practicing a fast reload is less likely to be needed than practice in quick presentation and engagement with the weapon.  I'd recommend that if you feel a "gunfight" is more likely to be needed with your lifestyle, buy a bigger pistol with better sights to allow defense at a greater range and with a standard mag release to allow quicker reload.  Then use the R9 for a backup.
Many owners never carry a 2nd mag for the R9 and the Seecamp.
Just my opinion, and to be fair there are those here who practice mag changes and become quite fast with them.

I could not agree with your statement more.  :)  As I Do carry my R9's as backup.  However, the reason I carry spare mags for all weapons carried is primarilay for MR. Murphy; i.e., malfunctions.   Extra ammo is a secondary benefit.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »

Simply put, there is very little reason not to carry another mag.

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
I ended up filing a small groove into the mag catch.  It is pretty small, but it provides significantly better grip with my thumb when pushing it back.  I have not found it to present any snagging risks on trips in and out of my pocket. 

Yes, I fully agree about carrying another mag.  Regardless of what gun I carry, I always carry a spare mag.  Having been to a few tactical and defensive pistol courses, it is amazing how fast you can burn through a mag in a high-stress situation.  One course had us shooting at cardboard silhouettes starting with drawing, pointing, and firing double tap shots.  At one point the instructor made us stop and guess how many shots we fired and how many were left in our gun.  None of us guessed correctly, but all of us thought we had more ammo in our guns than we really did.  One thing the instructor had mentioned was that one must always keep in mind the status of your weapon and to maintain readiness even after the threat appears to have subsided.  That could mean reloading your gun with a fresh mag even if you still have a few rounds left. 
The example above is in no way a "high-stress" situation compared to having bullets or a knife directed at you, but when we did some head-to-head shooting on steel plates, my adrenaline was flowing and I know I was not thinking as clearly as I normally do when just leisurely punching paper on my own. 

I completely agree that the R9 is not the pistol for any significant engagements, but nobody can predict when bad things will happen and what the outcome will be.  If it is the only gun you have one you when needed, then that is what you must use.  Often times, it is the only gun I have on me depending on my attire for the occasion.  I have never complained about having too much ammo except when it is in my range bag and the thing weighs a ton. 

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »
Like Reinz, Tracker, and GC, I always have a spare magazine for any gun I carry. I carry my spare R9 mag in the left-rear pants pocket. To keep the mag free of dust and lint, I always use a leather case and carry nothing else in that pocket. (It's amazing how much "dreck" can accumulate in pants pockets over the course of a day, especially a day in the field.) And as does Reinz, I believe in Murphy's Law. In fact, the older I get the more I am inclined to believe in O'Brien's Law, which holds that Murphy's Law may be flawed by irrational exuberance.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
I am inclined to believe in O'Brien's Law, which holds that Murphy's Law may be flawed by irrational exuberance.

;D ;D ;D

I love it!  How True, How True!    I declare that O'brien's law should be chiseled in stone!

Great one Richard

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 06:06:33 PM »
Ghost Chili, it is so strange how the mind works under pressure.  In my weekend competitions with guns with just 5 rounds or 10 rounds; so many of us lose count during scenarios.  When that timer goes off, so do our brains :).

Your story also reminds me of a story a writer or TV guy told.  It may have been Michael Bane on one of his gunzine shows.  Maybe someone can verify the source.  He told of a man involved in a(?) or multi (?); nonmilitary gunfights I believe.   Anyway, this gunfighter said what was going through his head during the fight was NOT "I have plenty of ammo".  Rather, it was " I sure hope that I have enough ammo to last!"
The fight(s) was/were not the typical 1.7 shots fired in 2.5 seconds and done.

Food for thought.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
Ghost Chili

I'm completely off the subject here, but I was picking Ghost Peppers (Bhut Jalokia) in my garden this afternoon and was wondering if they have anything to do with your "Rohrbaugh alias".  What's the story?

Offline billmc

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:44 PM »
I am inclined to believe in O'Brien's Law, which holds that Murphy's Law may be flawed by irrational exuberance.

;D ;D ;D

I love it!  How True, How True!    I declare that O'brien's law should be chiseled in stone!

Great one Richard

Probably just another way of saying the same thing, but I've always known O"Brien's law to say "Murphy was an optimist."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Great one Richard

Probably just another way of saying the same thing, but I've always known O"Brien's law to say "Murphy was an optimist."

That just serves to prove that O'Brien really doesn't like Murphy and is still attempting to codify his own law.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"