Author Topic: Having a gun when needed  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Having a gun when needed
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »
I have guns staged various places....a spot people don't think about is the overhead eye glass holder in your car or truck.....in my truck I keep a Kel Tec 380 and extra mag and in my car I keep a Seecamp 32 with extra mag....they are easy to reach! Other compartments obviously hold larger guns but have slower access.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Robar233

• Master
Re: Having a gun when needed
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
Jack_F,

That might not be such a great idea in some States. In my State, with a concealed carry permit you can carry the loaded firearm on your person. Keeping them "stashed" in your car would likely get you arrested for a "weapons in a motor vehicle violation". You would then have your permit pulled and have to go before a review board. I would suggest you check the laws in your State very closely.

Robar233

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:03 PM »
Local rules do make a difference. Now, in Texas it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in a vehicle without a CHL to and from your residence or "traveling" with some restrictions like no convictions, no gang membership, etc.. So, in effect, there is no concealed license needed to carry because if you are out of the vehicle you simply state that you are enroute to your residence. I prefer to maintain my CHL but this is quite a change that has caused some confusion. Implicit in this situation is that the owner is in close proximity or possession of the weapon. If the weapon were left in the vehicle without a CHL and somehow otherwise discovered by L.E. there would be a problem.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:29:07 PM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:38:29 PM »
To add to Tracker's post, in Texas,  the owner of the gun that is left in vehicle is 100% responsible for anything that happens with that gun.  So, if someone broke in and stole your gun and used it in a crime, you are in big trouble. Whereas if stolen from your house that does not apply.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
Jack_F,

That might not be such a great idea in some States. In my State, with a concealed carry permit you can carry the loaded firearm on your person. Keeping them "stashed" in your car would likely get you arrested for a "weapons in a motor vehicle violation". You would then have your permit pulled and have to go before a review board. I would suggest you check the laws in your State very closely.

Robar233

In my state there are no regulations on how a licensee may transport a loaded handgun. Rifles and shotguns must be transported unloaded
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:52:09 PM »

Unloaded transported rifles and shotguns is against the law in Texas.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
Jack_F,

Robar233

In my state there are no regulations on how a licensee may transport a loaded handgun. Rifles and shotguns must be transported unloaded
In my state your car is covered by the Castle Doctrine. No two states have the same version of Castle.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:13:43 AM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member