Author Topic: New owner  (Read 11029 times)

Offline nyr888

New owner
« on: May 12, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
Just picked up a new R9s stealth to see if it could replace my kahr pm9. Got one thing bugging me about it, the trigger. I've read so many posts/reviews about how smooth the trigger is but I can't help but think mine is the exact opposite. It's nothing dramatic, but it's a just a little "scratchy" when pulled, and then it's pretty rough on the return. It's making the kahr's trigger feel amazing.

I think I'm going to call the company on Monday but was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced this or if this is just how it is. Taking it to the range tomorrow, will see if breaking it in will help.

Offline RickP

• Expert
Re: New owner
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum. The trigger should be smooth right out of the box. There may be a piece of something stuck somewhere that is causing the roughness, and shooting might clear it. If not, call the factory. They will take care of it.

Offline nyr888

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:09:29 AM »
I'm hoping shooting it will clear it. Wish I payed more attention to the triggers on the other r9's I handled at the shop.

I usually don't clean/oil my guns until after an initial range trip. Do you guys recommend any different for the r9?

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:22:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Glad to have you here.  I agree with the post above, my trigger(s) have been smooth straight out of the box.  With regards to cleaning after the initial range trip, I have the exact opposite policy with exception to my 22's.  Although Rohrbaugh has an excellent reputation, I always disassemble and thoroughly clean any new firearm before my initial range trip.  This also helps me familiarize myself with the workings of the firearm should anything need to be done while at the range.  Of course, this is followed by another thorough cleaning after the range trip.

-Adam
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
Congradulations on your new PUP.

I have a habit of cleaning the gun before a range trip for the first time.

The gritty trigger can be the trigger bar rubbing on the under side of the right grip pannel.
You may want to remove the grip panel, clean and lubricate it to see of this fixes the problem before calling the factory.

Let us know how you make out!

Offline nyr888

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:26:23 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome and advice. Will check out what's going on under the right grip. Gritty is the perfect word to describe it. Will report back!

Offline nyr888

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
Took off the right grip and lubed up some parts that looked like they could be rubbing. No dice. Though it definitely feels like that long bar that connects the trigger to the hammer is rubbing against something. Really a pain in the balls for a 9mm at this price point. I did appreciate the super simple looking mechanics of the r9 guts.

Anyway, off to the range! Curious to see the accuracy difference between this little guy and my pm9.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  A note:  the Seecamp comes ready to fire out of the box.  The R9 does not and should be lubricated before firing.  You may also find some fine grit and filings in the works after the first few range trips...a product of the close tolerance machining requiring a "break in" period before making it a carry piece.  Most agree that it should be taken down,cleaned and lubricated after each range trip to insure proper function.  I'm not sure that taking off the right grip and squirting some lubricant in will work.  Remember also to keep the grip screws tight, especially on the right side or you will develop issues!

Also be sure to remember the purpose of this piece...self protection at close range...basically draw, point, shoot.  Grip should be firm and trigger pull smooth but fast, not staged in any way.  In an extreme close range encounter, a slow carefully aimed shot is less likely, although the pistol will perform in that mode also but only out to about 10 yards in my case due to arthritic hands and bad eyes.

Good luck shooting today!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »
When I purchase a firearm, I always take it completely apart and look at everything.  I give it a general cleaning with Breakfree CLP.  I give it a wipe down / and wipe off places that aren't suppossed to have any lube and then I make sure I lube to mfg specifications.

I inspect it for any metal shavings, chips, gouges, fractures or broken parts.  I also inspect it because I want to know exactly what it looked like before I fired it.  I don't want to find a mark on the pistol after a range trip and wonder "was that there before I fired it?"

After I inspect it, clean and lube it, I put it all back together and do a function check.

I do this all before I go to the range.

Please let us know how it fires at the range today.  I'm waiting (and working) for a carry law here in Illinois before purchasing a pocket nine.  The pistols that I am interested in are the R9, the PM9 and the Boberg XR9-S - in that order.  Not real comfortable with the XR9-S basically being a bullet puller with some brands of ammo.

But anyway, please let us know how your range trip goes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:17:20 PM by C0untZer0 »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
Other than perhaps using different cleaning and lubricating products, I follow the same procedure as that described by Count.

With regard to that "gritty" trigger, the usual suspect would be some dreck lodged somewhere in the mechanism. If the R9 were mine, I would give the piece a liberal bath in cleaning solvent concentrating on the entire trigger assembly, blow it out with canned air, and lubricate it liberally. Then, using a Snap Cap, I would run through some dry fire exercises. If the trigger pull still felt "gritty," I would repeat the process described.

Good luck in finding the gremlin.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »
Just picked up a new R9s stealth to see if it could replace my kahr pm9. Got one thing bugging me about it, the trigger. I've read so many posts/reviews about how smooth the trigger is but I can't help but think mine is the exact opposite. It's nothing dramatic, but it's a just a little "scratchy" when pulled, and then it's pretty rough on the return. It's making the kahr's trigger feel amazing.

I think I'm going to call the company on Monday but was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced this or if this is just how it is. Taking it to the range tomorrow, will see if breaking it in will help.

nyr.  Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new R9.  Very good suggestions above and the bases seem to be covered.  Good luck in finding the cause and do hope it works itself out during the range session.  Again, welcome.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
+1 on SnapCap dry firing.

Offline nyr888

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »
Put about 100 rounds through the R9s and another 100 through my PM9. Nothing changed with the gritty trigger. The r9s definitely beats up your hand but that's not a concern as I understand this isn't a range gun. I used American Eagle (Federal) ammo and had 3 failures to eject. I found myself to be much more accurate with the pm9, as expected. Groups were very tight and it instilled confidence. The r9s wasn't bad really, it was just significantly more scattered.

So the r9s is slimmer and slicker to conceal than the pm9. But the pm9 gives me night sights, accuracy and a less finicky attitude. Considering the pm9 is just barely larger, I'm going to stick with it. The fact that the r9's butt end has a corner cut out (bad explanation I know), is what I see as the biggest concealment improvement over the pm9. It's just not worth gimping myself if the situation isn't all that close up.

I'm going to give it a good clean and give gunbroker.com a shot. Never sold a gun online before. 

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
nyr.  Here's a picture of the R9 trigger mechanism.  Should you want to remove the right grip panel and check for some dreck, be very careful as the panel keeps the trigger spring intact.  Just a thought.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:31:08 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline nyr888

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
It is a beautifully simple gun...... Maybe I'll send keep it and send it to factory to fix my trigger. Wish it wasn't so damn expensive. 4 new high performance summer tires vs a small 9mm I won't ever carry.