Author Topic: New Grips for a "Safe Queen"  (Read 10061 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
New Grips for a "Safe Queen"
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
"Yankee" recently dangled a pair of old ivory grips with medallions for a Colt Mustang in front of me, and I grabbed them without a second thought. The last time this "safe queen" saw duty was as the pistol with which my wife qualified for her carry permit. (Its aluminum  trigger and stainless steel guide rod were installed courtesy of Scott McDougall & Associates "back in the day.") Anyway, since Colt announced the return of the Mustang last month at SHOT 2012, I thought I would bring mine out for a photo session all dressed up in the "new" panels.

_____

It's back in the safe now. (Thank you, John.   8) )

[Edit: Typo]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:30:23 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Re: New Grips for a "Safe Queen"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
You sure have some great guns................had one years ago.....was not always reliable though...no custom work done on it
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »

That is a Queen, safe or no safe.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
Very nice, RS; like those grips!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ricardo

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
A thing of beauty,,,,,,thanks for sharing.  :P
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
Thanks for posting the picture.  I was a bit annoyed that I missed them when they were up for sale, but I'm glad to see they went to a good home.  I'll just keep my ugly faux mother of pearl grips on mine for now.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
I used to love to sign onto Scott McDougall's website and hear the dulcet tones of Sean Connery introducing their services and products. As I recall all he said was,"Scott McDougall", in his wonderful scottish brogue.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:32:27 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »
I used to love to sign onto Scott McDougall's website and hear the dulcet tones of Sean Connery introducing their services and products. As I recall all he said was,"Scott McDougall", in his wonderful scottish brogue.

I remember that website very well. The two of them, Mac and Doug, were a class act. 

For those unfamiliar with SM&A, for many years they specialized in working magic on the Colt Mustang, Colt Pocket Nine, NAA Guardian .32, and 1911s. They closed their business in 2002 when Doug McDougall became very ill. Doug died, at the young age of 40, in 2004.  Mac Scott now does business on his own and can be reached through his website: 

http://45auto.com/Welcome.html

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:38:03 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
Is the background a head of hair, your dog, or some sweet throwback shag carpet!!??
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »
Nice Colt by the way :)
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
Richard those grips look a lot better on the gun than they did in the box. ;D
  Nice looking Mustang.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »
Richard,

Those grips do look great! I actually have 2 stainless mustangs one of which my wife carries now and then and I used to carry back in the 90s. Never had any issues, accurate for their size. Great little guns in my opinion even though they are 380s. I do remember a time when I was out plinking and fired at an abandoned refrigerator from the side and the little 380 penetrated both side of the refrigerator and then through one door of an old car that was behind it. I think the 9mm short is actually under rated, especially with modern ammo.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »
Is the background a head of hair, your dog, or some sweet throwback shag carpet!!??

;D  It's a tanned rabbit hide I purchased at Smoky Mountain Leather. I use tanned hides of various types in my den at the cabin the way my wife uses table runners and throw rugs in the more "civilized" rooms. (I had to move the cat to set up the shot. She considers that particular hide to be her personal sleeping pad.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
Richard,

Those grips do look great! I actually have 2 stainless mustangs one of which my wife carries now and then and I used to carry back in the 90s. Never had any issues, accurate for their size. Great little guns in my opinion even though they are 380s. I do remember a time when I was out plinking and fired at an abandoned refrigerator from the side and the little 380 penetrated both side of the refrigerator and then through one door of an old car that was behind it. I think the 9mm short is actually under rated, especially with modern ammo.

I also have found the Mustang to be very accurate for its size. Once at the range, just for grins, I ran a magazine through it firing at plates from 50 yards. No one was more astonished than I was that out of six rounds two were hits. 

Back in the '80s, an acquaintance of mine purchased a Mustang at my recommendation. A few days later he called me to complain that it was a totally inaccurate pistol and invited me out to his farm on the Chesapeake Bay to try it for myself. We met there, went to his range, and set up a target at 15 yards or so. My first shot was in the 10 circle. Knowing enough to quit while I was ahead, I activated the safety, handed the Mustang back to its owner, and said, "It looks fine to me."   

And the stainless steel version of the Mustang has no problem digesting the modern higher-pressure loads that, as you observe, can give the 380 ACP (9mm short) some rather impressive ballistics.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 02:18:33 PM »
Very nice, Richard.  You certainly have some fine pistol grips!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com