Author Topic: Dumb newbie question on Mag Release  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Pact

Dumb newbie question on Mag Release
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »
In my limited firearms experience I have never used a pistol with a mag release like the R9.  Its obvious how it works, but my question for you long time owners: is there a preferred hand position or grip to work the mag release in the safest manner possible?  Figured I would tap the knowledge and experience here before I learned some bad habit fumbling through on my own.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Dumb newbie question on Mag Release
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:55 PM »
Pact, There is no such thing as a dumb question.
  I do not carry a spare mag so I have no quick change tips, I'm sure someone who practices fast mag changes will weigh in.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 12:38:23 AM »
I have the advantage of being fairly ambidextrious, so I've never really had to think about the mag release.

I'd try a few times, find what works best for you, and practice until it becomes automatic.

Then practice often enough so it stays automatic.

Others may chime in with more specific ideas....

Offline SandMan

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:39:22 AM »
The mag release is one of the few downsides I have found to the R9 -- not only the position, but mine is very stiff to operate.

I have found that putting my
thumb over the top of the slide and pulling up on the mag bottom with the fingers of that hand relieves the tension enough that the catch will slide more easily.  That position keeps fingers out of the 'bang switch' area too :)  The empty drops into palm of left hand & if you have placed the fresh one b/t fingers of left hand, you can line it up and send it home.... its not real fast and after shooting 1911-patterned guns for 'bout a million years, I'm still having to concentrate and work on it!!

Also, as someone esle here suggested when I previously asked a similar question, you might also try putting a small piece of skateboard tape on the front of the catch.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:40:24 AM by SandMan »

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:42 AM »
I don't view the R9 style mag catch to be a downside to the firearm. It does a great job for it's intended purpose. I would say it is one of the features that drew me to the gun.

I have carried KELTEC and the LCP and at some point or another I would end up with an unwanted released magazine! This has never happened in my 4 years of daily  carrying my R9.

To release the mag, I place the bottom of the gun on a flat surface, push down on the gun, slide the mag release back and the magazine will slide right out.

I also squeeze the gun between the mag and top of the slide, thumb on top and middle and index finger on the magazine. With the other hand release the mag catch.

Once you practice enough with any technique, you will get it down.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:15:41 AM »
Place thumb on the bottom of the mag next to the mag release with the thumb pointed to the rear or the pistol. Push in on the mag and slide your thumb to the rear to disengage the mag release.

Rick

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
That technique and the spot of 3M tape on the mag release works for me, too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:39:03 PM by tracker »

Offline Pact

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
thanks all good suggestions. SandMan's technique seems safe and efficient, so I will work on perfecting that one with the index finger far from the boom switch.  

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »
You defiantly have to use a safe technique and one you are comfortable with.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »
Additionally, with the hooked magazine extension one can hold the hook between the index finger and thumb, exerting upward pressure while simultaneously pushing the magazine release with the forward thumb surface; very handy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:57:56 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
Let me see if I can describe my method.

I'm right handed, so I hold the R9 in the palm of that hand keeping the index and middle fingers under the slide with the thumb securing the pistol along the left-side slide serrations. I hold the spare magazine between the middle and ring fingers of my left hand with the butt of the mag in the palm (much like many east Europeans hold cigarettes). With the thumb of my left hand I press back the magazine catch and extract the empty mag with thumb and forefinger of that hand, dropping the empty in my left side pocket. I then insert the new mag into the well, using the back side of the mag to push back the catch and the heel of my left hand to seat the mag.

It's not a speed reload compared to what is possible with a 1911's frame mounted mag release, but with practice it's become pretty quick.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 07:02:08 AM »
Pact:

First of all, I neglected to welcome you to the Forum. Allow me to do so now.

Second, a friend has pointed out to me that, while your question was limited to using the mag release, I described my entire reloading procedure. That's like your asking the time of day and my describing how I build a clock. My apologies.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:02:51 AM »
Richard,
  I thought it made for pretty good reading and was quite informative. By the way what time is it ?  ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
Richard.  I thought so, too; and from my standpoint, no apology needed.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
Richard,
  I thought it made for pretty good reading and was quite informative. By the way what time is it ?  ;D

First, carefully mark out the teeth for cutting on the disc which will serve as the main gear . . . .  ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"