Author Topic: Double feed  (Read 3300 times)

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
Double feed
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:56:44 AM »
Last time I took my R9 out to the range, I had about 4-5 double-feeds out of maybe 75 shots. I'm wondering what could be causing this. FWIW, I changed the recoil spring relatively recently... it had probably had 50 rounds through it before this last range session, with no issues.

I will say that it was with Remington UMC ammo, so that could conceivably be the problem. I only had one mag full of Gold Dot, and it went through the gun just fine. 7 shots isn't really enough of a data point to make me comfortable though.

I'm used to getting the occasional malfunction using cheap ammo, and I'm alright with that (as long as it performs flawlessly with my carry ammo). But these double-feeds are kind of a concern... they are real a bitch to clear, especially with the R9's mag release being where it is. If one of those comes up in an emergency situation, you might as well just throw your gun at the bad guy.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Double feed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:06:38 AM »
My advice is......don't use Remington UMC in the R9 as you've found out.  Use the good stuff.  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:07:33 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
You have to use whatever your gun likes to run.

Speer 115GD for me. i have run this in four different PUPs and they all like it. :D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
I have used the Remington UMC and it tends to be very dirty, possibly causing the case waiting to eject to stick.
 I prefer the WWB for range shooting.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:30:51 PM »
Ok, I guess I'm just going to chalk this up to ammo. UMC is what I had on hand, so it's what I was shooting with. I won't bother with that crap in the future in this gun.

I should just order up a crate of the 115GD, as it's what I carry and it seems to work perfectly. So expensive though...

Thanks for the advice. Glad it's not a broken extractor or anything, just shitty ammo.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »
Take your PUP out to the range and give the Gold Dots a try before you put tour trust in it. Judt to be safe!

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
Oh I've put a couple hundred God Dots through it over the course of the last couple years, along with plenty of WWB. I just got a little nervous after this latest experience with the UMC.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
Good to know. i wold not want to see you use a firearm you were unsure if it would fire properly.

I have not tried any other ammo outside of Speer GD.

I have found it to be reliable. I dont shoot more than a box at each range visit, so it does not get too expensive.

Offline gbelleh

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »
I will only shoot Gold Dots, or Speer ammo from now on.  I've had some feeding issues with WWB.  These tiny guns can definitely be ammo sensitive.
gbelleh

Offline nase

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »
Well I just ordered a massive quantity of Gold Dot, so hopefully this issue is a thing of the past  ;D

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 07:12:15 PM »
I may do the same. I am getting a little low for my taste.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »

Now is the time for all good men and women to acquire ammo.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
I may do the same. I am getting a little low for my taste.

It's getting about time, Adam.  3500 rds is getting way to low.    ;D

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Water;action=display;num=1300328151;start=2#2
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
It is a mix. I have been stocking up in my travels. I have about 500 GD.

Too low if they become scarce. I have four PUPs to shoot now. I will do some catching up with my grip $. ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
I'm so glad I don't have to buy anymore.  It surely helps to get stocked.  Such a relief.