Author Topic: Magazine Catch  (Read 4409 times)

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
Magazine Catch
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
My new R9 has a very tight fitting magazine catch. Each magazine is removed with a great degree of difficulty.
There is no simple pushing of the catch rearward and popping out the magazine, I have to either push with a painful amount of pressure or push upward on the magazine itself while pushing the catch rearward.
 My friend's new R9 ( one serial number off from mine) has the same issue.
I don't remember this problem with the other R9 I owned.

Just curious if any one else has this issue.
Is this now by design?
Would you be happy with it working so difficult?

I can reassemble the recoil spring into the slide without tools, my hands are strong, this magazine catch is tough.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
Re: Magazine Catch
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »
I have to slightly push the mag up to work the mag catch, but it is nothing like you are describing.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
It don't really sound right to me.  I've had lots of these guns and none were as you described.  

I am starting to wonder if other parts to these guns are being out sourced (we now know the slides are being made outside the factory).  From reading here on the forum things latley don't seem to "fit" together as they once did with these guns.  I hope the quality of our coveted pups are not starting to slip by the wayside.  Please don't take my comment as a "hater" of the R9 because I'm a LONG way from that.  I do hate to read of problems with them though.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:37:39 PM by ccoorreeyy »

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:32 PM »
Chameleon,  I had a similar problem with the pup I bought a year ago.  My solution was to use a dry lubricant on the bottom of the magazine where the magazine catch fits.  I also used it on the catch.

That seemed to solve the problem for me, though I still wish the release was bigger and had serrations on it for a better grip
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
My new R9 has a very tight fitting magazine catch. Each magazine is removed with a great degree of difficulty.
There is no simple pushing of the catch rearward and popping out the magazine, I have to either push with a painful amount of pressure or push upward on the magazine itself while pushing the catch rearward.
 My friend's new R9 ( one serial number off from mine) has the same issue.
I don't remember this problem with the other R9 I owned.

Just curious if any one else has this issue.
Is this now by design?
Would you be happy with it working so difficult?

I can reassemble the recoil spring into the slide without tools, my hands are strong, this magazine catch is tough.

Sounds like the magazine catch spring is too strong.  Could be Rohrbaugh got a bad batch of springs.  Just a thought.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »
I'd say the spring may not be the problem, with out a magazine the catch is very easy to move. My thought is that the catch needed to be the slightest bit longer, or the pivot hole on the catch itself was drilled slightly in the wrong place.
My friend seems to think this is a good problem as he won't inadvertently drop a magazine.

Lubrication probably will not help in this case either, just way too much metal.

Maybe a phone call to get a new catch and I'll replace it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »
That could be it as well.  Hope so.  Good luck!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Looking at this magazine catch a little closer, it has a rim on it that actually locks into the magazine. I am starting to think this by design.
Then again, why make it so darm hard to get a magazine out of the gun.

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 03:08:08 AM »
I have the same issue with my new Stealth.  My 1st gen R9S mag catch worked much easier.  I plan on making a phone call to the factory to discuss with them.

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Mine has the lip too that engages the groove in the mag base plate.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 07:56:12 AM »
Mine has the lip too that engages the groove in the mag base plate.

I have not confirmed from Marie if this is the correct function. It seems just way to hard to operate.
The lip sure does guarantee a solid lock up on the magazine though.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »
Mine has always required that I push the mag in and then slide my thumb back to disengage the catch. No problems with the mag coming out unexpectedly.

Rick

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 11:39:50 AM »
On my early edition R9 (No. 132), the magazine release also has a lip to engage the groove in the mag plate. When the release is pushed back, the magazine will pop out about 1/2" if the pistol is held horizontally. If the pistol is held upright when the release is activated, the magazine will fall out of the well unless prevented from doing so -- about the closest thing to a "speed reload" as could be achieved with a heel-mounted mag release. I take pains to prevent that from happening at the range to avoid damage to a magazine but wouldn't hesitate to allow it in a "SHTF" situation.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
I spoke to Marie today and we decided mine is as it should be. I'm happy with the conversation I had with her.
My friend Doug-2 also thinks it a great advantage to have a little difficulty removing the magazine so it won't accidentally be dropped out albeit from shooting or any other inadvertent act.

Thank you all for your replies.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 07:24:33 AM »
chameleon.  Great that nothing is wrong.  Maria comes to the rescue.    :)