Author Topic: New R9 Frame Wear Is Normal  (Read 5262 times)

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
New R9 Frame Wear Is Normal
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »
Moved this from a soon-to-be-deleted thread and edited the text. I hope this is a more appropriate location:

I've just shop-stripped my R9S for the first time after 100 rds, and found the usual rubbing, minor galling, etc. discussed in other threads here. no surprise, no dismay. I did find some disagreeable sharp edges and flash that I carefully smoothed down with my diamond lapping tools. Just enough so running my finger around inside the slide didn't actually snag my skin anywhere. The areas around the field-stripping pin access holes were the worst, as they pierce a groove tangentially. I paid particular attention to removing flash around these holes. Another area was where the oiling hole enters the inside of the slide. There was quite a little upsetting and flash here. A tough area to get to, but was able to with a long narrow diamond riffler file. Made a spring compressor to hold the recoil assy together (replaces channel locks) so the assembled unit snicks right out  - and back in place when cleaned. This eases reassembly quite a bit. Will post pics of this tool and make one for anyone who is interested. It's small enough to lose in your pocket but works like a charm. Polished up the spots recommended in other threads. gun went back together smoothly.  
 I cant imagine this "polishing" would void any warranty, especially if normal wear might conceivably produce a similar result.  

Soapboxtalk on Anodizing: In the bike industry, which was pretty much the first to introduce anodizing to the general public, I learned that Anodizing is the  most inexact of sciences, depending on too many variables in quality of substrate, etc. to be used for any other than cosmetic purposes. It was THE most discussed and problematic feature of any frame or component, bar none. It was and still cannot be relied upon as a bearing surface under any circumstances. That said, it is IMPOSSIBLE to anodize only part of a single piece of aluminum alloy. So the industry routinely just informs the sales people to alert their customers that it will rub off of wear points just like paint would. The sales people routinely "forget" to pass this on to buyers, and it has merely become accepted by experienced owners over the last 20 years. This "failure"  has NO significant effect on the usability or longevity of the product, as it is not necessary for corrosion protection in all but the most extreme environments.  

the anodizing has the opposite effect on our Pups. when disassembled. they show a somewhat shocking view of this 'failure'. But if one says to oneself "it's just really good paint" then the shock factor is reduced considerably. My guess is that on average, each cycle of the slide on the frame with each discharge is no more than 1/100000ths for the first 100 rounds, somewhat more so perhaps once the very hard anodizing has worn off - and before the alloy has work-hardened - and considerably less so once the two surfaces settle-in (beat each other to a stand). The exception would be if "flash" metal were left on the slide at a bearing surface arise (or edge) during machining. This manufacturing leftover, routinely removed at the "Burr Bench" in the factory would be a considerable variable as it is usually removed by hand. Flash would be accentuated by any coating process (like Diamondcoat) making it more like a cutting edge than ever. This may explain why some Pups wear so much more quickly than others, and you'd need a strong lens and many slides side by side to compare them indexably for this.  

We all know the final assembly process at any for-profit (for-meeting-payroll) manufacturer is not the time for viewing slides side by side with an optical comparator. These observations occur when units are returned BECAUSE THEY FAILED. This "reverse engineering" is a much more efficient process for the factory (unless you're NASA) to discover design deficiencies with their products.

OK Again hope this is a more appropriate place for these observations, Gator. Thanks for the heads-up!
Brad

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: New R9 Frame Wear Is Normal
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:33:14 PM »
Brad:

Count me in for one of your spring compression tools, if you decide to offer them.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:54:43 PM »
Dismayed to hear about the 'burrs' you found.  I hope Rohrbaugh is not going to fast to fill orders.  I have never found a burr or sharp edge on my 2 guns.  I doubt the polishing would be noticed if you ever sent it in for warrenty work.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »
I should add that the "burrs" I found were very tiny - only a couple thousandths, and removing them was more about precaution than really fixing a problem. There were way worse ones on my SW 9 when I first got it (frame wear on that gun was pretty pronounced, too, but no big deal.)

I hope RB is taking their time too. With only a few thousand shipped out so far, you'd think there's enough time to inspect & deburr the slides before Diamondcoating or shipping.

Offline EliteR9s

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
Brad:

Count me in for one of your spring compression tools, if you decide to offer them.

+1.  Count me in on a spring compression tool to replace the vise grips.  Let's see some pics on this product too.  When you really think about it, it is pretty tacky to see vise grips being used/recommended in the owners manual with a $1000. gun!!!  I can't believe the R brothers can't engineer a tool to be included when you purchase this firearm.  WTF.  First class gun but 3rd rate re-assembly criteria IMO.  Come on R brothers, get with it and make a first class tool to be included with a first class gun!!!!!!!!!!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »
I would like the spring tool also.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline muppetlord

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:20:56 PM »
I would be interested in a spring tool as well.

Offline sigme

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »
I might want one as well. I just used my fingers last time but it wasn't any fun.......

Offline regalka

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »
Please count me in on the spring tool as well.  I agree, it's hard to believe that a $1,000+ gun would require such a "factory recommended" process as channel locks...
Thanks,
Ron

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
Not unusual for a factory to suggest something like that, but Ilike this tool a lot better. When Ireassemble the R9 the recoil assy drops right in and 'snicks' together when I pull out the tool.

I am tweaking the length of the spring tool so it will work well when reinserting the recoil assy while still being relatively easy to attach when removing the assy from the slide. It's a compromise.

When I have one that I can take a pic of I'll post it here and in the classifieds. I'm assuming price will be 10 bucks including mailing anywhere in the US.

If RJ isn't going to make the chopstick tool anymore I may decide to ask him if I can  pick up that torch, too.

C10 grip checkering pics tomorrow or the next day - Not trying to steal Bryce's thunder, I may buy a set of his Aluminum contoured grips too (if they're all black)....

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »
thanks for working on it.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Mardav

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 10:19:30 PM »
Hey there, another Newbie here!  I picked up an R9S last week and haven't even had a chance to shoot it or even strip it down yet, and probably won't till turkey day!  I would be interested in your tool for the spring as well.

Great Forum gang!

Marc
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 06:49:26 AM »
Marc:

Welcome to the campfire! As Tom says, pull up a log and sit down.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »
SM,
    I too would be interested in your tool..

Funny how we don't really "need" something,but need it nevertheless!! :D

Mardav,
       Welcome to the forum also!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master