Author Topic: New owner on deck...  (Read 2898 times)

Offline kdom

New owner on deck...
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:05:56 PM »
Well, figured it's time to introduce myself after lurking here for a while.

Recently picked up a pre-owned R-9s, vintage early 800's serial number, locally here inthe Houston area. Original owner claimed to have put 200 trouble free rounds thru it and then just carried it...no reason to not believe that after inspection, the pup looks brand new.

Stripped it last night for the first time...was kind of wondering what all the fuss was about, since the tear down and reassembly seamed to be pretty easy. That made me wonder, so I grabbed a new recoil spring to compare with the one that was installed. Yes, was time for the new one, since it was about 1.5" longer than the old one. And then I realised how difficult reassembly is supposed to be ;)

First trip to the range is planned for Thursday...I'll check back and let you know how happy I am with my new pup...

-kd

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: New owner on deck...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:21:50 PM »
kdom,

Welcome to the forum and I hope your first range trip is very satisfieing.  Keep the grip screws tight, use the recomended ammo and IF you have any hickups install the new 2nd generation recoil and magazine springs in it.

I am glad you replaced that recoil spring first thing.  It sounds like the original was definately shot.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline kdom

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 10:44:39 PM »
Thanks Mike.

Already had a good experience w/ Maria @ Customer Service -new style recoil and mag springs, and grip screws are on the way, just in case...

-kd

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 04:25:34 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!  Enjoy your new masterpiece.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kdom

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 11:07:13 PM »
Thanks Richard!

Finally had a chance to gget to the rage this morning. Most importantly, the weapon functioned perfectly, and I'm pleased with my purchase.

In total, I fired about 25 rounds of Winchester 115gr JHP, 25 rounds of 147gr Gold Dots, and 20 rounds of Federal 115gr Hydroshocks.  Had a little trouble getting the Hydroshocks and Gold Dots to go into battery on the first round, but no problems when actually fired. I though the recoil was managable w/ the 115gr rounds, although I didn't attempt "double taps". The 147gr's recoils was too much for me to consider as a carry round - reovey would be just too slow without alot more practice.

Even with the 115gr's, I'll need some practie to get as fast/accurate as I am with my PM-9, but the R9 will be much easier to pocket carry during our long hot summers...

So, when will I be able to get a R-380 for the wife?

-kd

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:58:18 AM »
kdom,

Welcome to the forum..

Remember no +Ps in the pup..

Good to hear of your shooting experience!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 07:14:09 AM »
Thanks Richard!

Finally had a chance to gget to the rage this morning. Most importantly, the weapon functioned perfectly, and I'm pleased with my purchase.

In total, I fired about 25 rounds of Winchester 115gr JHP, 25 rounds of 147gr Gold Dots, and 20 rounds of Federal 115gr Hydroshocks.  Had a little trouble getting the Hydroshocks and Gold Dots to go into battery on the first round, but no problems when actually fired. I though the recoil was managable w/ the 115gr rounds, although I didn't attempt "double taps". The 147gr's recoils was too much for me to consider as a carry round - reovey would be just too slow without alot more practice.

Even with the 115gr's, I'll need some practie to get as fast/accurate as I am with my PM-9, but the R9 will be much easier to pocket carry during our long hot summers...

So, when will I be able to get a R-380 for the wife?

-kd

KD:

Thanks for the good range report.

As for the R-380, Chris reported last July that: "[R]ight now the best hoped for arrival is estimated to be early in 2008. Progress has been good towards production but some work remains."  

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/jottings.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kdom

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »
kdom,
Remember no +Ps in the pup..

Brenden, thanks for the reminder, but these were all normal pressure rounds (no +P ratings on the boxes or casings...). Don't think I'd want to try +P's even if the pup was rated for them. For me,  anything with any more kick that the Winchester 115 JHP's would make follow up shots too slow...

Richard - thanks for the link...

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 12:24:24 PM »
Kdom, welcome and the best to you and your pup. Great time at the range huh!? Enjoy carrying it and safety it brings.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus