Author Topic: Got an R9s, Can't Decide . . .  (Read 4324 times)

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
Got an R9s, Can't Decide . . .
« on: January 21, 2006, 07:49:51 PM »
Just received my R9s today -- second transaction for a Rohrbaugh off of GunBroker's auction site.  Dealt with same fellah who sold me my R9 last month, Middleburg Pawn out of Florida.  Nice seller.

Now I'm sitting here playing with the little guy, "sighting" here and there in the dim light of my study.   I'm not convinced at this point that these minimilist sights are going to be of much use to me in low-light conditions (arguably where I'll end up most needing a pistol).  Also, the front blade seems wide enough to cover the average bus . . .

Comments from users of the "S" . . .  ?

Thanks in advance for any insights -- insights, get it?  Oh, my sides . . .

Michael Hildebrand
Juneau, Alaska

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:51:24 PM by bluegun »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Got an R9s, Can't Decide . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 08:39:12 PM »
Bluegun;

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

I consider the R9 to be strictly an up-close-and-personal defensive weapon.  It was not designed for target use but rather for those times when the proverbial dreck hits the spinning blades.  The maximum range at which I would expect to have to use the R9 would be about seven yards.  At that distance, sights are of less importance than instinctive shooting.

The gun world has been divided on the concept of point shooting since the days of William Bonney (aka, "Billy the Kid").  I believe in the concept.  Others do not.  For me, however, sights on a pocket pistol are of secondary importance.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 09:18:59 PM »
Richard:  thanks for your thoughts.  I think I agree.  I have given my R9 a pretty good workout -- four trips to the range and two thorough cleanings, and I'm very comfortable with it.  As you say, 7 yards and in is probably where the action is . . . any further and I'm going to beat feet.  (Actually, I'm going to beat feet whenever I can. )

Anyhow, at 20-25 feet I can put shot after shot from the R9 into a pie plate sized area.  At 50 feet I hit torso center mass on the sillouette targets about 90% of the time.  So, now that I think about it, I don't really know why I got the R9s.  Just to see what he was like, I guess.  I'm inclined to go over to the classified section and offer a swap for another R9.

Any other perspectives on the sight / no sight issue?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:32:37 PM by bluegun »

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 11:51:30 PM »
I gave thought to the sights/no sights arguments when deciding which Rohrbaugh to buy.  I ended up buying the R9S figuring: If I could use the sights they were there and if I couldn't, I'd be no worse off then the R9.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 07:08:52 PM by MurrayNevada »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:07:11 AM »
My dealer only orders R9S models so the decision was easy.

I think the up-close mission of the pistol makes sights unnecessary, but it's hard to kick a long time habit of having sights.

They are there if you want them, and also very small if you don't.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:10:13 AM »
FWIW: Most superior pilots let their flying do the talking.

Offline jsw4178

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 01:12:09 AM »
welcome Bluegun, I also purchased the R9s . I agree with most every one else that in a self defense situation you will probably not even notice the sights(point shooting). Some others also train to use the front sight only . Either style you can't go wrong. You could also paint the front sight with fluorescent or luminous paint like some of the other guys have. :)
Scott

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 01:21:50 AM »
seems like a consensus of sorts is developing:  "what do they hurt?  use them or ignore them, but at least you have them if you ever DO decide to use them."

that's actually pretty reasonable.  they certainly don't hurt anything.  okay then, i'm keeping him.

thanks all.  i'm taking him to the range tomorrow.  hope i have as good luck as i have had with the R9.  i haven't had a single fault in some 300 rounds.  i'll drop a line subsequently about how the R9s works.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 02:17:11 AM by bluegun »

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 02:20:46 AM »
Michael
I really enjoyed roaming your woods around Juneau last summer - it reminds me how I would picture the forest in the "Lord of the Rings" books - especially the high woods in the mountains.  You have some big bears there although I understand it is rare to have an attack from one.  The local with me carried bear pepper spray instead of a R9.

It is 1:20 am here and only 9:30 pm at your place - that is nice.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 02:31:26 AM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 05:29:05 AM »
Hi Dave:  Juneau does have interesting flora.  Back in the deep woods it's almost prehistoric, with giant ferns and huge elephant ear plants.  Then, traditional spruce and fir up the mountains.  It really is a rain forest.  Thank God it's a mild climate though, I couldn't live in an equator-type rain forest.  Had enough heat when I was a kid, in Oklahoma.  Just basking in the moderate temps now.

There are a lot of bears around here, usually small to midsize blackies in town.  I live on a street right above downtown, squeezed against a mountain.  Here on Gastineau Ave. the bears were so thick on trash pickup days that we finally had to form a garbage co-op and put in a dumpster.  Nobody could keep their curbside cans from getting torn apart . . . to say nothing of coming face to face with a nice 250 pound blackie at about 5:00 AM, when you're putting your trash out.

Come back and see us.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 10:44:29 AM »
bluegun,

If you can post some bear pictures, they would be appreciated.

Gun pictures are also nice, of course.   :)

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 02:47:22 PM »
Michael - I went sighted on both mine - accepting tho that these are indeed rudimentary.  Consider tho the average snubbie - frame groove at rear and a front sight blade - still fairly ''primitive.

The pup is certainly to all intents and purposes a point shooter for up close but I will admit that the more deliberate longer range shot does feel easier with the sights - I say that with old eyes too where the picture is pretty blurry!!

I did add some ''Brightsights'' paint spots on mine and find that helps a bit and I do agree on reflection, the foresight is wider than really needed.  I like a lot of ''daylight'' in my rear sight.

The page on sight paint is within the FAQ (my sig line for link).
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 07:25:43 PM »
Michael,
I am not sure if I welcomed you earlier-if not, consider it done ;)

The key here everyone-if I understand -is that he has bought ANOTHER pup.. ;) 8)

Congrats on #2.. 8)

I have never really given it a thought about the sights,mine are sighted models.

I can use them for "precise" work at a bit longer distance-say 20 yds.

Otherwise I mostly do the "point" thing and it shoots where my arm extends..7 yds is where I do most of this at.. ;)

I have wanted to put the "dots" on like Chris,but have not gotten around to it!!maybe someday..

I have really wanted to add the R9 "sightless" to the fold when I run across one..I have never had a problem with my Seecamp in hitting anything  ;) ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 10:42:36 PM »
Michael

You seem to be like most I met in Alaska - came to visit and decided to stay.  Some had very interesting stories.

I have two R9s also - like the sights.  On the other hand I have several Seecamps and the sights don't seem needed.   Don't know why I have multiple R9s and Seecamps - must be some type of psychological thing.

Welcome again.  
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 11:33:31 PM »
I have the R9S and find the sights useful, especially after I put some dayglo red paint on the ramp of the front sight.  There's enough air gap between the rear notch & front sight to get a quick sight picture.

Most important though, the gun is a good natural pointer - for my hand / eye, anyway.