Author Topic: SEECAMP .380  (Read 94878 times)

ccoorreeyy

Re: SEECAMP .380
« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2010, 11:09:03 PM »
Nice stuff Ken!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #301 on: August 26, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »
Now for the Rohrbaugh Trifecta R9 - R380 & R45  ;D

John
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:52:39 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2010, 07:29:47 AM »
Will be working on that!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »
Nice stuff Ken!

Thanks, Corey.  Had these pictures taken for a little while as you can see, however, just got around to posting 'em.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:54 AM »
Nice set indeed!  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #305 on: August 27, 2010, 08:37:40 PM »
Thanks, CCW.  Where have you been?    ;D  I have seen you signed in a few times.   :)

Offline IOM

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2010, 04:30:06 PM »
Look what came in the mail today (to my FFL).  I ordered this back in April '09.  Haven't had a chance to shoot / test her yet.  I'm just glad it came in around 17 months, I was expecting closer to 24.

David

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #307 on: September 04, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »
David:

Now that's one fine pocket pistol with an inspired serial number! Christmas in September.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #308 on: September 04, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
David.  Congrats on the custom serial no. Seecamp .380; very unique.  Enjoy!

Offline Fun_with_Guns

« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2010, 12:59:35 AM »
Ok, here's an opinion:

I've had a Seecamp 32 for 15 years (honest) but bought an R9 5 years ago and rarely carried the Seecamp (9mm vs. 32).

Three years ago, a close personal friend was involved with Larry's operation in CT.  I had one made in 380 for me with my last name as the serial #, substituting a "1" for the "L" in my name.  Larry even signed the magazine with an engraver the day I picked it up.

Cool right until I fired it!  Very hard on the hand, I'm no baby but 2 clips is punishing in 380.  Save your money and stick with the R9 or buy a LWS 32 and practice with it.  I can easily shoot 2 or 3 clips out of my R9 (accurately too).

This isn't a knock on the LWS 380 but you should shoot one before waiting to buy it.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »
I had one of the 380 Seecamps for a short time and fired 14rds. through it, I sold it to fund another project. I don't think the recoil was unbearable but it didn't fall into the fun category, and it's still a 380.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2010, 06:54:30 AM »
Jim.  I have three Seecamp .380's, two NIB and one bought with what the previous owner said had only been fired 10 rds.  I shot that one 57 rds the first day but encountered failure to feed on last rd with every mag except the first, however, did not experience any recoil problems.  That .380 had to go back to Larry as the hammer strut pin failed and has since returned.

That being said, I am used to shooting large caliber hand guns, as I have the S & W 500 Mag, 454's, and 44 Mag. The Seecamp .380 was a mouse compared to these.  

For those, not used to recoil, a different matter.

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »
FWIW:

Being a "gun nut" by nature, I'm ALWAYS looking for my next "favorite" firearm....

Generally speaking, the one I bought last is the one I like best, right now..

But in our minds, JoAnn and I place our Seecamps apart from our other firearms.

JoAnn loves her LWS32 (1JOANN)...  I love my LWS32 (LAUSDEO2), and LWS380 (LAUSDEO1)...  We love 'em, but we DON'T necessarily carry them on a regular basis..

We feel the Seecamps are a step apart from all of our other firearm choices...  We enjoy a casual friendship with Larry (didn't say he knew about it), and the special serial numbers are neat.  The quality and unique aspects of the Seecamp simply place the tiny, ok very tiny, high quality pistols in a "nitch" of their own, in our household.

Our Seecamps are "heirloom material"..  The idea of parting with any of them simply does not compute when we are lusting after some "new" firearm choice.

Recently we have come to appreciate the value offered in the excellent little Ruger LCP..

When you compare the LWS380 to the LCP you find the Seecamp is smaller, and can easily be carried concealed almost anytime, any place.  The LCP less so.

But once you get past the special ease of concealment the Seecamp offers, the LCP becomes more attractive...

Here's why.

The LCP is not harsh to shoot... No dramatic recoil, no finger pain...  The LWS380 recoil/finger pain is such that you must  "really, really" want to shoot it, IF you shoot it.

Or, JoAnn will happily shoot my (or her) LCP, but she makes the sign of the cross if I offer to let her shoot my LWS380, again..

The LCP, or at least "my" LCP offers a Crimson Trace Laser, and excellent external sights (upgrade by Innovative Arms), the front of which is a night sight.  Obviously the laser and sights make shooting the LCP more accurately, under normal conditions, a better choice.

So, most of the time we cc our Rugers...  

If we lose them, or they are confiscated as evidence after we shoot a booger or two, no great loss.  You can walk into almost any reputable gun shop (and many less than reputable I'm sure)  and buy another for less than $300.00.

So, if someone asked me for a good recommendation for a 380cal. mousegun for EDC, I'd say the Ruger LCP..

I don't believe the Seecamp pistol, at least in 380cal. is right for everyone...  

The Seecamp LWS380 has "warts"...  Warts such as harsh recoil, and trigger slap equating into trigger finger pain.  The lack of external sights make it, AS DESIGNED, a close up and personal "get off me" gun..

So, I believe a "regular" person would be better served with a Ruger LCP than a Seecamp LWS380..

But I don't believe folks reading this post, on the ROHRBAUGH forum, care too much about the price of admission for the LWS380, we are generally speaking "gun nuts", and exclusivity, desirability, and the reputation of the Seecamp line of pistols (as with the Rohrbaugh) when compared to the competition is why we buy them, and put up with the warts..

For practical purposes the Seecamp LWS380 is absolutely RELIABLE, more than self defense accurate, and that's MY requirement in a tiny concealed carry weapon.

I like my Ruger LCP beause I like guns, and it's a good one.

JoAnn and I LOVE our Seecamps...

Just personal opinion, no offense to anyone..

Jesse

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:17:56 PM by Laserlips »
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »
Jessie,
   Very well put . I think you right on about the LWS380s.
I agree on the LCP, I had one of the early ones and had no issues with it a fine 380 carry gun. I sold mine and went with a Kahr P380 which I like a little more than I did the LCP. The major difference between the LCP and the Kahr, price, you can get two LCP for the price of the Kahr.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
The kahr shoots much softer than the LCP and mine is CRAZY accurate for a pocket pistol.  10" ballons at 50 yards are easy one shot kills.  I can't do that with my LCP at 25 yards!  The LCP is nice, P380 is nicer, but for me a Seecamp or R9 will be in my pocket.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:24:16 PM by ccoorreeyy »