Author Topic: SEECAMP .380  (Read 95085 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: SEECAMP .380
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
The mag springs can be a cause of the problems,"most" semi "problems" lead back to the magazines..

I just haven't heard of many with the Seecamp .380 though.

I personally would send it back to Larry,guarantee he will take care of it for you..

Good luck on the feed probs..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
Thanks, Brenden.  I've got something I'm going to try in reference to the mags before I send it back to Larry.  Hope it works.  I'll know in a little bit.

Well, didn't work.  Tried a brand new mag right out of the box.  Fired two mags, cleaned gun after each mag and got the same results; failure to feed on last rd; still using the Aguila as that's all I have for now.  

So now it doesn't seem like a spring problem.  This mag was from a Seecamp .380 NIB recently bought and from recent production.    
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:49:03 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline deercop

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
IIRC, Larry at one time said that the magazine capacity in that size gun is a compromise.  A designer must choose spring weights that either favor the first or last round in the magazine, he chose to favor the first rounds feeding and the last round "maybe" feeding.  Also, I recall him mentioning that he could reduce the capacity by one round and guarantee all rounds feed, but he elected to have the last round "maybe" feed instead of being eliminated.

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1214194364/2#2

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1260859344/17#17
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:56:58 PM by deercop »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »
deercop.  Thanks for the links.  I have two more things to try and that's the Silvertips and the Hydra-Shoks.  Don't know how that would relate to the last rd not feeding.  I still don't know why the first mag tried fed all seven rds.

I was a happy camper then.  Should have just quit!  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #229 on: June 02, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
If I had to make a choice I think i would go with the first round feeding option. Hello?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:10:13 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #230 on: June 02, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
I'm still holding out for getting all seven to feed.  If all fails, Larry wants it back.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
I also remember Larry talking about the last round compromise of feeding or not.

If the gun is meant to feed with the help of the following round helping things along,you may have gotten one that requires this more so.

Sending it back will probably be a foregone conclusion for that problem..

Or if you don't want the hassle,I'll take it off your hands,sight unseen,warts and all!! ;) ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
The first mag fed all seven rds like a champ and semi rapid fire, so I know it's capable of doing it.  Larry is the one who suggested sending it back.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2010, 01:30:46 PM »
The Seecamp .380 from Phil will be going back to the factory.  Had another discussion with Larry this morning and he said send it back.  So, next week, off it goes.

Offline deercop

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »
If you have time to try something before sending it back, try scrubbing the heck out of the chamber area.  The Seecamp has a "rough" chamber, that the brass expands into when fired, in order to slow down the slide in recoil (it is blowback operated, after all).  If brass and carbon are allowed to build up (which can happen in relatively few rounds), these recesses cannot slow down the slide speed enough for proper function.  I have had it happen with my 380 (after 50-75 rounds or so) and with my 32 (after several hundred rounds), during which time I thought I had cleaned the chamber well enough.  

Also, use Silvertips, as they have a brass case, not nickel plated (I don't know if that matters, but it seems like it would, and Silvertips work better in mine).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:44:26 PM by deercop »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2010, 09:02:49 PM »

I agree with the chamber polishing; other small guns of mine, not Seecamps, have functioned much better after a smoothing of the chamber.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »
Larry said he fixed my .380 Hydra Shok feeding problem by polishing the chamber  ;D

Offline deercop

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »
The Seecamp 32 and 380 pistols require a rough chamber, by design.  There are grooves/gouges intentionally cut into the chamber, to allow the brass (when fired) to expand into, thereby slowing the slide down.  A buildup of brass and/or carbon can cause that to not work as designed, increasing slide speed, and increasing the risk of malfunctions.  

The last round in the magazine is particularly at risk, as not only is there less pressure (from the mag spring/rounds) on the underside of the slide (which would slow it down), but the mag spring is at its weakest on the last round, and might not get that round into proper position in time.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »

Which begs the question on a high dollar, high demand gun like the Seecamp, why didn't they do that in the first place and save everyone the aggravation?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #239 on: June 03, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »

deercop, you answered my question about the same time I posted it; thanks.