Author Topic: SEECAMP .380  (Read 95229 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: SEECAMP .380
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2010, 04:38:37 PM »
Hey Corey.  Glad to finally meet you in person.  Cool place, Dave's Guns.  I've now tried the Aguila .380 90 gr. and got the same results.  Fired 57 rounds with the first mag firing flawlessly.  Then every mag thereafter had failure to feed on the last round.

Changed mags just to see if anything changed and got failure to extract on 3rd rd, and on another, failure to extract on 4th rd.  Cleaned bore after each mag just to see, but same thing; failure to feed on last rd.

Called Larry Seecamp and he immediately said send the gun back to him along with some empty casings.  I told him I would try some Silvertips and Hydra-Shoks first just to see and he agreed.  So that'll be next week.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
It was good to meet you too.  Dave's is just a whole in the wall but you never know whats going to be on the shelf from day to day and its fun to see what walks in the door.  Dave has a huge collection of pocket pistols.  He has done several shows on the History channel about pocket pistols.   Anyway I hate to hear your still having problems with the LWS.  I'd go ahead and send it to Larry and let him tweek it for you.  That way you won't be burning your own ammo untill its ready.   Like everyone else says,  Larry will make it right!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.  When I mentioned that the .380 had done the same thing with Gold Dots as with the Aquila, Larry quickly said, we need to get that gun back.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »
CCW.  I've seen this at ammoto go and was wondering if this is OK to use as it says Tactical.  I know it's 90 gr. same as the Hydra-Shok Personal Defense.  Just had that question.

I meant to ask Larry Seecamp today about that and forgot as I had so many questions about why the .380 may be acting the way it was.  You can get this man anytime you call.  He answers his cell phone on the 1st or 2nd ring.  Excellent.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
It is the same exact round/ammo. 50 round boxes are called Tactical since they are marketed to LE.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:42:08 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2010, 10:12:05 PM »
Well, that's sure good to know, however, if you look at the boxes, the picture is different.  The Tactical has a sharp point in the middle of the mushroom and the Personal Defense doesn't; or maybe I just can't see it on the Personal Defense box.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:18:02 PM by kjtrains »

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2010, 10:20:40 PM »
Yes it does, you just cannot see it in the picture. The point is there to make sure denim or other material does not clog the HP and stop expansion at impact.

PS: I have both and they are the exact same ;D

The boxes are different for 9mm gold dots too when you buy 20 or 50 round boxes. They look different and some will even say LE. It is just a marketing strategy...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:27:28 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2010, 10:26:20 PM »
Whew!  I feel better.  Now I know which one to order.  You got any ideas why this .380 is not feeding on the last round?

How's yours doing since you got it back?

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2010, 10:39:06 PM »
You fired 57 rounds without a problem? Then you started having problems?

Did you just clean the bore when you started having problems? How about the slide etc...? If you did not clean the slide, I bet things got gunked up and slowed the slide speed down causing feeding problems. 57 rounds without cleaning is a lot for the Seecamp. Do you Eezox your magazines too?

I would ask your question on the Seecamp forum. Failure to feed on the last round is something that pops up from time to time. It is often caused by a weak magazine spring and the lack of round underneath to assist in the feeding process.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
No.  I fired 57 rds total and as I said the first mag fired flawlessly, then every mag thereafter had the failure to feed on the last rd.  The bore was cleaned after each mag and the slide, internals and all were cleaned with WD-40 after each mag.  I didn't bring the Eezox with me to Ga.

The insides and everything was Eezoxed soon as I got it.  Didn't seem to help.

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2010, 10:59:06 PM »
Ahhh, now I understand ;)  I looked over some Seecamp threads and recommended fixes have been new magazine springs, to make sure the magazine springs are installed correctly, and to make sure the lip of your magazines are machined properly. Looks like the problem is easily fixed once you narrow down the reason.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:59:46 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #222 on: June 01, 2010, 11:14:38 PM »
This gun was suppossidly fired only 10 rds.  So......just don't understand, why it would have weak mag springs as each mag did the same, unless it came with weak springs.  I guess that is a possibility.

Thanks for looking up the reasons.  Gives some food for thought.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 10:12:31 AM by kjtrains »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2010, 08:12:08 AM »

Just a side not here that we should keep the rounds per session without a cool down period to fifty.This is mostly for the LWS 380, heat is the enemy.

Sometimes, as stated above, the magazine spring is the culprit for last round FTF. You would have to take your magazine apart and examine the orientation of the spring. It should appear backward from any other manufacture's orientation.
Reassembling the LWS 380 magazine is less tricky than reassembling the LWS 32 magazine.
Here is a video on reassembling the LWS 32 magazine, it is the same process for the LWS 380 only there is no spacer to contend with.
http://www.fototime.com/3686F5DB85231F8/conv.wmv

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »
chameleon.  The .380 had a cool down period between each mag as the gun was cleaned, bore, slide, and relubed lightly and then mag reloaded; second mag was also tried 3 times with same result with the addition of 2 failures to extract.

It does seem like the mag springs are the cause as CCW has pointed out as well.  Thanks for the info and link.