Author Topic: HK Handguns  (Read 8908 times)

Offline garymass

• Expert
HK Handguns
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:43:57 PM »
I have a quick question to some of our experienced guys... I know a few own the P7 but in regards to the other models from HK that are available on the market how do they compare to other firearms. They are more expensive which does not always mean they are better or more reliable! I will most likely P/U a 9m or a .40 but have not decided as of yet as no ranges by me have them available to shoot.
   So in short what is the consensus in regards to HK handguns on the market today are they worth it? Thanks

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: HK Handguns
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »
Gary:

Jesse has given a rave review to the HK P2000SK:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Other;action=display;num=1249307835

When it comes to HK, I myself remain a loyal member of the "P7 Cult":

However, Heckler & Koch pistols are a lot like Rohrbaughs -- top of the line weapons for their purposes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:00:05 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »
Thanks Richard,

I have read his review and figured I would get a few more from some of the locals here that have experience with HK's as I have none.
   I thought about purchasing a P7 before but have not even been around one before and hence never fired one, seems to be an odd system in theory but reading about them and seeing such a large following it must be a good system.
  Always wanted an HK now I just have to justify it to myself.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »

"Want" trumps "need" every time, Gary.

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »
That was the way it was always in the past, just a little smarter now a days! Just a little! ;D

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »
Richard said it best.... P7s are in a "class" of their own. When compared to "other" more current HK product however, you have to consider all sorts of scenarios.....

Is it for CC? If so, here are some things to consider...
If you are wanting to pay its price...
only PSPs and M8s are good for CC
don't carry the P7M10 (40 cal) you will get tired
"uncoated" P7s tend to rust if carried.
Due to the all steel construction they are heavy

Some pros however are they are "quick" as all the hype implies and accurate as hell. They look good and ride well in Delfatti leather and lastly you'll be the envy at the BBQ.

Hope that helps some....
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
I have never regretted buying an HK but i think if you need a gun, buy a Glock; if you want an HK, buy the HK. I don't own one of the newer ones but the only thing I have heard other than positive is thin on parts availability and marginal on customer service. As one member here stated, they are such well made weapons that he won't need either one of them.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »
I have an early USP .40 S&W, purchased in 1993.  Thousands and thousands of rounds have run thru it.  Never have had a problem, other than the time the firing pin got gummed up from excessive (obsessive) lubricant in the firing pin tunnel.  My bad there.  (I got a hand written note back from H&K when my gun was returned after the firing pin incident saying to use less lube and never use grease.)

After all these years and all the use, it still looks new.
It gets treated to a new recoil spring every once in a blue moon, and that's about it.  It's a bit difficult to buy parts for the USP because a H&K service rep told me they want the gun back at the service center in case of part failure.  When I asked why I couldn't buy spare magazines from other suppliers, he said, "When you buy a magazine from H&K, it's going to work.  We stand behind it.  We can't control the quality from other vendors."   It's hard to argue with that logic, but I have committed the heresy of buying my recoil springs from Wolff.....

That old USP is still my go-to gun if or when TSHTF.  But the R9S is always in my right front pocket.  ;D

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
I have a quick question to some of our experienced guys... I know a few own the P7 but in regards to the other models from HK that are available on the market how do they compare to other firearms.

gm:

I've been buying and selling pistols/revolvers for around 50 years more or less.  My primary interest was (early on) Smith and Colt Snubby's, then compact, or sub-compact 9's..

I've had the Browning HP's/Bersa Thunder 9/UC's/Tokarev's/Glock 26's/Sig P239/Walther P99c/AS/KT-P11/Star BM's/and a whole gaggle of 3rd Gen Smiths...  Some were good, NONE were bad (ok, the Tok was kinda bad) and the Walther P99c/AS was excellent.

Then I stumbled on the CDNN surplus HK P7's, and I was forever lost to the ones that came before.  I bought three "A" grade P7's and each was amazingly accurate and absolutely reliable.  Fine, fine pistols.

I was so pleased with the P7's I started reading about HK's in general and comments about the HK P2000sk kept coming up in threads in the various firearm forums as being another fine H&K pistol..

So, I sold one of the two P7's I never shot to help finance the HK P2000sk (V3 variation, TDA) and it was a very, VERY GOOD swap.

I still love my HK P7's, but when I want to carry a 9mm pistol (as always, in ADDITION TO, my LWS380) it's the P2000sk V3 99% of the time.

Why the 2000sk over the P7 you might ask?

While I love the P7, it is a bit top heavy for cc iwb..  The "squeezecocking" aspect is just enough different for me that I just don't "feel" quite as familiar (comfortable?) with it as I do a traditional DA/SA pistol, and in comparison to the P2000sk the capacity of the P7 is 8+1 while the standard capacity of the sk is 10+1, and using the 13 rd. mag of the full size P2000 (with the X-grip) your capacity CAN BE 13+1..

I have put my other cc compact 9's away with the exception of the sk and my favorite P7..

My suggestion, as an old "know it all" fart, would be for you to try and hold AND shoot whatever HK pistols you might have an interest in, along with the P7 as the "accuracy barometer" if you will.
 ;)

I still have other 9mm pistols, but I carry and shoot only my HK P2000sk V3 or occasionally my P7.

As with everything else in life, what "works" for one might not necessarily "work" for another.  HK's are not cheap to buy, and I'd hate to see you plunk down a lot of money for a pistol you might not be happy with..

That's why "test drives" are a good thing...

:)

But, I didn't "test drive" my sk or P7 before making the leap, and I'm more than pleased with my H&K's...  

Just personal opinion, no offense to anyone who might disagree.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S.

I should mention that for some people with large hands the grip of the sk might be too short...  Personally the grip using the standard 10rd mag w/fingertip ext. feels "perfect" for ME, but I can see where it might be too short for someone else....  Using the longer 13rd mag of the P2000 w/X-grip EVERYONE should love the "feel"...  I tried a flat base plate on the standard mag and it was TOOOO short, even for me.

So, just something to keep in mind..  

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:57:13 PM by Laserlips »
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 01:02:36 PM »
  Around here HK's are concidered a very good weapon, but I hear phrases like "now, it is not as accurate as the Sig" or "It is not built like the Sig". These are from the shops that sell both. There are reasons why Special forces and other units that can pick their weapons, many times choose the sigs over HK's.  The fact that the Sigs motto is "To hell and back" says alot :).   I have owned a Sig 228 Since it was legal for a "Citizen" to buy one after I was issued one for my work and found it an exceptional piece. Be sure to always have sigs on your "need to also look at" list when you are looking for guns. The new P-250 in interesting in that it can be a .40SW, 9mm, or 45ACP.

Just some thoughts to throw out

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Laserlips

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »
Quote from: Chief-USN  Be sure to always have sigs on your "need to also look at" list when you are looking for guns.
Just some thoughts to throw out
Chief[/quote

Chief:

No argument from me.  I bought a new Sig P220 wayyy back.. It was the European model with the bottom mag release, and it was awesomely accurate, and so "sweet" to shoot..  I had been familiar with how the Colt 1911 shot, and was amazed at the difference between the Colt and the Sig...

The Sig outperforming the Colt in every detail, particularly accuracy and reliability...  

I also had a very nice P239 for years (W/CT grips) and it was also a very nice pistol... Always reliable, always accurate..

Nuttin' wrong with a Sig...   (I still want a P220 compact)
 ;)

Best Wishes,

Jesse
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:10:56 PM by Laserlips »
"Laus Deo"

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Offline Sonny_Boy

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:03:40 PM »
HKs are great and reliable guns.  The new lines are light years ahead of the USP lines.

For a 9MM: HK P30 or P30L.  Egernomic handle grips to change sides and swell, can mix and match to suit your needs.

For a .45 ACP: HK 45C or 45.  very accurate easy to clean and light weight, but manage recoil very well.

Size very good for CCW needs.

I have about 10 HKs and the are my favorite, along with my Walther P5C and P88C.
~If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them~

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »
I haven't had any rust problems on my P7 once I started using Ballistol to clean it.  I initially had planned on having it coated, as I was getting so frustrated.  I do have a plum slide, and have thought about having it refinished to eliminate that.

Richard, I'm sure I've asked before, but who refinished your P7?

If a P7 was available in 45, it would be the perfect CC piece, IMO. (Until the advent of the R45.)   It is simply a gun w.o. any corners.  As it is, I'm partially smitten w. it, and still carry it.  Admittedly, mine's too pretty to take it to some of the places my G29* and I go  (nothing like a refreshing day being covered in various CIP solutions and sanitizers...  Heck, as I get older, I think I might be too pretty to go some of the places I do...  ;) )

My P7 and I really, really like one another, esp. since I put on Nils grips -- I don't know why some people think they're fragile, mine have been fine, but I did finish them w. beeswax, once I realized they'd stain.

*My brother's G30 has mine well beat -- looks like it's been chewed on a bit, and splattered w. various paints, etc -- but, Glocks are nothing more than tools.

I carried a Sig 226 for a couple years -- I have two concerns about them as CCW pieces.
         A) Somehow I got a small lint ball between the hammer and the firing pin -- not very large at all -- the gun wouldn't fire.
         B) And, this was one day out of everyday for about a year and a half, somehow my hammer got cocked back -- now, a different holster might remedy that, but given that I had Bruce Gray install a nice trigger on that gun, I was a bit nervous.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 07:46:58 AM »
I haven't had any rust problems on my P7 once I started using Ballistol to clean it.  I initially had planned on having it coated, as I was getting so frustrated.  I do have a plum slide, and have thought about having it refinished to eliminate that.

Richard, I'm sure I've asked before, but who refinished your P7?

If a P7 was available in 45, it would be the perfect CC piece, IMO. (Until the advent of the R45.) * * *

My P7 was plated in CobraChrome by Virgil Tripp of Tripp Research just before he quit taking outside plating orders to concentrate on other aspects of his business.

http://www.trippresearch.com/index.html

As you know, HK actually did design a P7 in .45 ACP, designated as the P7M7. According to my information, only six (6) prototypes were produced. Most of them are supposedly in the HK "Gray Room," but I think one or two may be floating around in private hands. If you find one for sale, let me know. We might be able to establish an investment partnership in order to acquire it:   ;)

http://hkp7.com/p7m7.htm  

I'm pleased that you are finding Ballistol as useful as I do. I call it "the ultimate survival juice":

http://www.ballistol.com/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:48:14 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »
I think as we get older through this gun world of ours we all go through phases - revolvers to autos to rimfires to 1911's to pocketrockets to AR's.  
Sometimes the same with brandnames.

But one thing has stayed the same with me, HK is at the top!  Especially the P7!  One of the main features is it is relatively thin, compared to the blocky Sigs, Glocks, Rugers and even other HKs.
Of course the squeese cocker is the coolest and the fastest operating system you can imagine.  It takes no training time at all hardly to get it down.  It really is simple, once you shoot a few mags through it.

One big plus, if the bad guy gets the P7 away from you or finds it in your house or car, he probably won't be able to use it against you.

Yeah the P7 ain't cheap, but neither is a Rohrbauh.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE